Thursday, September 25, 2008

International Lunch

Day 18

So, today was Deven's (my 2nd graders) International Lunch.  I was very impressed by my son and his classmates...they are so cute when they get that microphone in their hands!!  But I was really quite upset about a few things....first of all....where are the elevators?!?!?  I can't believe you can have a kids school with only stairs to get up to the auditorium.  Are we supposed to have only one child and not have any more babies?  Crazy.  Well, atleast the exercise of carrying the baby up the stairs in the stroller must have worked some important muscles!

But let me tell you what was worse....in an International School as prestigous as YIS....they hold an international lunch every year around the time of the Muslim celebration of Ramadan. Muslim families do not eat during the day- they only eat after sunset.  There is a boy in my son's class who is not eating.  I am not Muslim, but I felt so miserable for his family.  His father and 2 sisters were there, his mother (who had cooked for everyone else....and put the cutest little Malaysian flags in each scoop of rice) was there....and everyone ate....but them.  Well not exactly....I didn't eat either....I felt so bad for them....so I fed my baby and went home for my PCP-friendly meal.  I hope they had a nice dinner.   I may have to write a letter to the school suggesting they hold this lunch later in the year...what do you think? 


2 comments:

Patrick said...

I lived in an Islamic country for two years and know that Muslims take a great deal of pride in their Ramadan fast. I bet this family felt really good that they maintained their fast despite being surrounded by tasty food.

As a vegetarian I don't feel weird or left out at a barbeque. I've made my dietary choice and I don't expect anyone to feel bad for me or go out of their way to accommodate me. In fact I get pretty embarrassed when someone does that.

This actually applies to the PCP because you will be in situations where everyone else is making poor food choices and you will have to decline politely and deal with the reactions.

Munisha said...

That's true - I'm sure they were very proud of maintaining their belief....I didn't think about it that way. And you're right....Maki and I were out for lunch today and everyone ordered the special...(lots of sauce, salt and who know what else!) .ofcourse we didn't and you're right....I felt damn proud!!